“We are now standing in the face of the greatest historical confrontation humanity has gone through. I do not think that wide circles of the American society or wide circles of the Christian community realize this fully. We are now facing the final confrontation between the Church and the anti-Church, of the Gospel and the anti-Gospel. This confrontation lies within the plans of divine providence. It is a trial which the whole Church… must take up.” Karol Cardinal Wotyla (Sept. 1976)

Friday, July 18, 2008

Webster Cook's Friend Also Faces Charges

Benjamin Collar, one of the votes against sending this incident to an impeachment vote, a close friend to Webster Cook, and someone who attended the "disrupted" Mass with Webster, is finding out you should choose your friends more carefully. Let me say that I have never believed in guilt by association, so we will give Benjamin the benefit of the doubt that he is innocent, until evidence is presented.

But his interview to MyFoxOrlando is interesting. First, he says that he can not register for next semester classes, saying there is a hold on registration pending a discipline hearing. This means Webster is in this boat as well.

Next, there is the quote telling you everything he didn't do, pretty much telling you what Webster did, :“While the situation, disruption happened, I was sitting in my seat looking forward, I did nothing:”“I never spoke to a university official, I never lied about who I was,” Collard added. “I never engaged in any disruptive conduct..."

Webster is not going to have too many friends left. I hope for Benjamin's sake, if he did do nothing wrong everything is resolved for him. By the same token, the Campus Ministry filed charges against him, so we will wait to see.

But here is something else worth noting. Benjamin is, I presume, the friend that Webster stated he was trying to show the Eucharistic to. If this was a lie, which I believe, Benjamin is not going to support Webster's lie over his survival at this college. He could turn "state's evidence" against Webster in the hearing.

Another story says the Senate seat Webster could lose are highly sought after. The Senate controls distribution of $80 Million in school funds. Maybe that is how Webster knew exactly how much religious organizations were receiving. It was reported some students spend $10,000 of their own money on their Senate campaign to be elected, and receive a salary (probably minimal). Times have changed so much since I have been in college, I was worried about paying my $3,600 semester tuition.

No comments: