“We are now standing in the face of the greatest historical confrontation humanity has gone through. I do not think that wide circles of the American society or wide circles of the Christian community realize this fully. We are now facing the final confrontation between the Church and the anti-Church, of the Gospel and the anti-Gospel. This confrontation lies within the plans of divine providence. It is a trial which the whole Church… must take up.” Karol Cardinal Wotyla (Sept. 1976)

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Very Non-direct Mail

Today, an awareness came over me on just how in trouble the McCain for President campaign is. I received a campaign-fundraising letter in the mail. Well I didn’t receive it, it was addressed to me at my parents’ address - - a residence where I have not lived for 13 years. That was the first troubling sign. They have been paying for outdated mailing lists.

The second concern was how bad the target marketing of the piece was. It was a plethora of very safe, middle-of-the-road issues, stretched all over the map with no common theme; aiming for everything and hitting nothing. There was absolutely no thought nor focus behind this undertaking, just throwing enough of "it" up on the wall and hope something sticks and some possible donations are sent. I am unsure if this was a result of inexperience or laziness.

I have worked as product managers for direct mail companies (plural). I also surmise they got my name from previous donations to political candidates. My donation history is clearly and percisely supporting candidates that are adamantly and vocally pro-life and social conservative. Names like Alan Keyes, Sam Brownback and others. I should have been easily identifiable as to what kind of voter I am.

What is the one topic this mailing did not mention? You got it, the pro-life issue. If they started the letter, "There are three Supreme Court justices that will be replaced in the next four years, and we need your help," I would have considered this request. This sloppy, direct mail effort now makes me more upset that my primary cause is being shunned, most-likely never leading to a donation being sent.

McCain should have had one letter to the social conservatives (pro-life, defending God in the schools, against gay marriage, etc.), one letter to the fiscal conservatives (preventing a 25% tax rate and keeping tax cuts), one to moderates (mentioning gas prices, immigration, economy), etc… That is a campaign that knows what it is doing, and a campaign that will be successful.
As I said, it was a sad realization.

Today, McCain shook up his campaign by replacing Rick Davis with Steve Schmidt handling all day to day operations. I hope for all of our sake this move shows a better return.

No comments: