“We are now standing in the face of the greatest historical confrontation humanity has gone through. I do not think that wide circles of the American society or wide circles of the Christian community realize this fully. We are now facing the final confrontation between the Church and the anti-Church, of the Gospel and the anti-Gospel. This confrontation lies within the plans of divine providence. It is a trial which the whole Church… must take up.” Karol Cardinal Wotyla (Sept. 1976)

Saturday, March 27, 2010

My Return Love Affair with Music

On a brutal 32-hour trip back from Southeast Asia, I rediscovered my love for listening to music in headphones. Here are some of my favorites that got me through the trip, that you may never have heard:

Coinleach Glas an Fhómhair - Clannad Shows you how beautiful the Gaelic language can be. You won't understand a word, but be compelled by the beauty of this love song.

Book of Love - Peter Gabriel PG was kind enough to release a new album just before my trip to help my travel along. This is a cover that he did of The Magnetic Fields' song. This rendition keeps running through my head.

Easter - Marillion This is my favorite all-time song. It is based on a poem written by W.B. Yeats that he wrote after Ireland's Easter Day rebellion in 1916. The poem asks the rhetorical question to the grieving... what can you do after a tragedy in your life, "make a stone of your heart?"; with the implication you can't stop feeling or loving. One of the best guitar solo's ever.

I Was Brought to My Senses - Sting A great song to listen in head phones. Sounds in the beginning like an old seafarer's song, then breaks into beautiful layers of instruments.

Song for Ireland - Mary Black One of the best female vocals I have heard. Mary Black's voice is crystal. She is just accompanied by a piano, but it sounds like so much more because of the power of her voice.

Sky Blue - Peter Gabriel One of the best 30,000 ft. plane reflections songs, for weary travelers who just want to get home. The Blind Boys of Alabama frame the song with their rhythmic background vocals.

A lot of Irish influence as I was traveling over St. Patrick's Day. You can see I also went melodic in my old age. These songs are worth a listen when on typing your computer. Enjoy.

No comments: