“We are now standing in the face of the greatest historical confrontation humanity has gone through. I do not think that wide circles of the American society or wide circles of the Christian community realize this fully. We are now facing the final confrontation between the Church and the anti-Church, of the Gospel and the anti-Gospel. This confrontation lies within the plans of divine providence. It is a trial which the whole Church… must take up.” Karol Cardinal Wotyla (Sept. 1976)

Friday, April 2, 2010

Prophecies Foretold Bring Us Back to the Foot of the Cross

Having gone through Catholic school and religious eductaion my whole life, I have never read in its entirety the "Suffering Servant" scripture at the end of the book of Isiaih (53). This was written 700 years before the birth of Christ, but is there any doubt who this Jewish prophet is talking about?:

5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

12 …because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

And although obviously I was not at the crucifixion, you are brought closer to understanding this pure act of sacrifice and love and what Christ had to endure by reading the prophecy in Psalms 22:14-18. God gives us insight to what he would feel at the crucifixion:

14 I am poured out like water, And all My bones are out of joint; My heart is like wax; It has melted within Me.

15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd, And My tongue clings to My jaws; You have brought Me to the dust of death.

16 For dogs have surrounded Me; The congregation of the wicked has enclosed Me. They pierced My hands and My feet;

17 I can count all My bones. They look and stare at Me.

18 They divide My garments among them, And for My clothing they cast lots.

How can we not feel remorse for the times we chose a path away from God after reading this?

No comments: