“We are now standing in the face of the greatest historical confrontation humanity has gone through. I do not think that wide circles of the American society or wide circles of the Christian community realize this fully. We are now facing the final confrontation between the Church and the anti-Church, of the Gospel and the anti-Gospel. This confrontation lies within the plans of divine providence. It is a trial which the whole Church… must take up.” Karol Cardinal Wotyla (Sept. 1976)

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Baby Faith: The Beauty, Value and Impact of a Single Life

Multiple, recent polls have shown that the heart of America is changing to the Pro-Life belief. There are many reasons I believe for this, but despite my personal list of reasons, the most predominant one is that the pro-life position is the position of absolute truth, unconditional love and recognizable beauty. Sooner or later, open hearts will find their way to this core belief; many times by the result of being exposed to a "witness of Faith".

Myah Walker, a 23 year-old, Canadian college student, received the news that the baby she was carrying had anencephaly, a condition where her baby had no brain. She followed and documented the beautiful story of this child, baby Faith - aptly named - with her blog:

"When I had my 19-week ultrasound, I remember the look on the radiologist's face (I can't describe that look) and when he asked me if this was my first child, I had a feeling that something was up. He said, "Something is wrong with the baby's head.This doesn't mean that you can't have healthy babies in the future." That is all he would tell me, that there was something wrong with the baby's head…

The doctor told me with tears in her eyes, "What they found is that the baby has no brain." She said that I could choose to continue the pregnancy with no risk to my health, but that my baby would die shortly after birth. Or, I could choose to induce early to terminate the pregnancy.

I was shocked. Just an hour earlier I was watching the ultrasound monitor and I could see her swimming around and sucking her thumb just like a normal baby. She looked perfect to me. I thought, no brain? How is that even possible? I said to the doctor,"Well... she must have some brain," but she just shook her head and said, "No." She assured me that her movements were "only reflexes."

When given the option to either carry her to term or terminate the pregnancy, I immediately told the doctor that I wanted to carry her to term. It was not a decision that I had to think about. For some reason I had to give the doctors my decision over and over again, which was frustrating. One doctor asked, "Can I ask why you want to continue this pregnancy?" I guess some people are baffled by unconditional love."

Myah obviously did carry the baby to term, and, as diagnosed, little Faith went home to God shortly after as Myah blogs:

"The best 93 days of my life were spent with my daughter. Faith went to Heaven today. We spent the entire morning and some of the afternoon snuggling together in my warm bed. I told her that I loved her many times. I was holding her in my arms when she passed away. It was around 4:40 in the afternoon. I had just finished changing her diaper and I decided to pick her up and wrap a blanket around her. She made a very sweet smiling face and held it for several seconds... I thought it was very cute. I waited for her to take her next breath, but she didn't. She looked up at me and opened her beautiful eyes, and I realized what was happening. I told her to go with Jesus. I told her that I loved her and that it was ok, that I would meet her in Heaven. I held her close and cried tears on her face. I felt her chest and there was no longer a heartbeat. But she still looked so beautiful. And even now, she is still so amazingly beautiful... as I hold her here she is looking like a porcelain doll. Her tube feed is gone. Her lips are still pink and her facial expression looks so happy and peaceful. God is good."

God is good, Myah, and so are Pro-life mothers. A priest once told me that while giving "last rights" to a very holy and frail person, their face lit up joyfully precisely at their moment of death. The priest was convinced that this person was seeing the Beatific Vision. Faith's smile at the moment of her passing reminds me of this story.

Any parents who have been through such an experience like this know the heartbreaking tragedy of receiving the sad neonatal news and having to return your baby to God so early in their life. But this tragedy could have been compounded tenfold if little Faith never had the opportunity to feel the embrace or soft kiss of her mother. Little Faith's soul went home to God from the warmth of her mother's arms and was released to Him with Myah's love. Myah did love unconditionally, as she made sure this baby was showered with human love before entering the kingdom of Divine love.

Myah has had 42,000 views of her blog profile since December. This could easily put the unique visitors to her blog in the millions. Multiple millions of people have read and been inspired by this beautiful story of little baby Faith. We must never underestimate the value and impact of an individual life. Even a little one, who was less than perfect and lived for only 93 days. To Myah, her many blog readers and her God, little Faith was definite perfection and her 93 days a more than ample amount of life to be vitally meaningful.

Ht to Creative Minority Report through Waltzing Matilda

No comments: