As news stories that John McCain is holding a weekend retreat with VP contenders to help facilitate his decision on who shares the ticket with him, I have a perfect VP candidate that is being overlooked:
Former 9-Term Ohio Congressman John Kasich. My reasons are as follows:
1) He has national name recognition and is known through his “Heartland” show on the Fox News Channel, coming into millions of homes every night and establishing an anchorman’s relationship of trust.
2) With this show, he has elevated his communication skills to that of a broadcaster and has polished the ability to talk to the common man in his language. Through this show he is abreast of all the issues that may come up in a VP debate.
3) He is a favorite son of, and very popular in, Ohio, which no Republican presidential candidate has ever been elected to the office of the Presidency without winning. The danger here is that current Ohio Democratic Governor Ted Strickland is very popular and is on Obama’s short list.for VP.
4) He is from a working class, Catholic background and will appeal to the middle class “Reagan Democrats”(Kasich is now non-denominational evangelical). With the last two elections being so close, the swing vote becomes a major issue. Kasich is also of Slovak decent that will have appeal in western Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is also a battle ground state with 21 electoral votes. Kasich grew up in Pennsylvania before becoming a Buckeye at Ohio State. Chicago and Milwaukee also have large Slovak demographics.
5) He will sure up the social conservative base that McCain needs, but who acknowledge McCain as a moderate conservative as best. Kasich is thought as one of their own.
6) Kasich was Chariman of the Ways and Means Committee while in Congress where he balanced the budget and his reputation as a hawk will make fiscal conservatives happy. Note that he is also enough of a Washington insider to run this committee.
7) He is squeaky clean in reputation, no baggage. He has a mantra that he stumps with often that he is “son of a mailman”, in other words of humble descent. Honesty just beams from his face, and his lanky-ness is Lincoln-esque.
It would be a perfect pick.